Some of the pro’s I’ve found are as follows:
- I feel better. A lot better. I fall asleep at night at a reasonable hour, I have acceptable energy levels throughout the day.
- I look forward to my meals. I’ve done the diets and always was so hungry all the time which encouraged me to cheat more and more. I’m eating my normal foods now, but have incorporated much more fruit into my diet. I’ve also fallen in love with green tea.
- While the cost remains the same for my weekly grocery shopping, I end up with a lot more healthy snacks.
- Veggie burgers are REALLY GOOD.
Some of the con’s are as follows:
- Soy burgers have a really funky smell. They don’t taste bad, they just have a really funky smell.
- Plain soymilk is GROSS.
- Buying veggie meat is really, really expensive. It pains me to see the expense associated with anything that has to do with meat replacement.
- I always forget to take my vitamins =(
So that’s what I’ve been doing these days. Another thing that is really good is I’m no longer tempted by fast food joints – because it’s next to impossible to get vegetarian food there that isn’t in the form of a salad.. and salads != vegetarians.
One of my most favorite recipes I’ve tried out this week is the avocado reuben sandwich as follows:
1/2 avocado, mashed.
2 slices rye bread
Thousand Island Dressing (recipe following)
Spread dressing on one slice of bread and mustard on the other. Put both slices of rye bread in a skillet over a burner set on medium heat. Add avocado to one slice and sauerkraut to the other slice. Heat until bread is slightly toasty.
Mmmm Mmmm good.
Thousand Island Dressing:
1 cup vegan mayonnaise
1/3 cup ketchup
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
3 Tbsp. sweet pickle relish
2 Tbsp. minced stuffed green olives
Combine in a blender.